As a Web Backend Developer, you will implement the backbone of digital products and their functionality. You will be responsible for bringing digital ideas to life.
You are doing this with us:
- Planning technical solutions for individual features and whole sites for customers
- Extending existing platforms and building new corporate websites and e-commerce sites
- Coming up with solid solutions and sound architectures
- Coordinating task and project statuses directly with customers, also in agile sprints
- Reviewing change proposals of others and giving constructive feedback
- Analyzing and optimizing the backend performance
- Developing integrations with web services, enrichment services like Elasticsearch and marketing automation tools like newsletters and CRMs
- Developing custom data imports, exports, and data migrations
- Developing data providers for component libraries in the frontend
- Developing automated tests and integrations with monitoring systems
- Contributing fixes and features to third-party extension vendors and the CMS core
- Sharing your knowledge and train team members as well as other disciplines and customers
- Moderating and mediate discussion arguments, taking business and technology factors into account
- Reviewing third-party sites as part of audits for our customers
You have valuable experience with:
- Extensible CMS backends based on Statamic, Craft CMS, WordPress
- Programming PHP (OOP and procedural) and the Twig templating engine
- E-Commerce platforms like WooCommerce, Craft Commerce, and others
- Creating RESTful APIs and GraphQL services for decoupled frontends and integrating with third-party web services
- Developing automated deployments and automated tests
- Developing new plugins and themes (ideally published publicly like our extensions on GitHub)
- HTTP caching, HTTP headers and reverse proxy caches like Varnish and Nginx Cache
- Best practices and writing clean code
- Understanding foreign code bases
- Participating in code reviews and discussions about architecture and design
- Spoken and written English on a professional level
You are familiar with these tools:
- Peer review and version control platforms like GitHub, Chromatic
- Command line tools like Git, npm, gulp, Webpack, Composer, SSH, WP-CLI
- Component library UIs like Storybook, Fractal, Patternlab
- Continuous integration platforms like Netlify, GitHub Actions
- Project management tools like Asana, ClickUp
- Collaboration tools like Slack and Google Apps (GSuite)
- Documentation tools like Notion
This should come out of your work in the end:
- Fast, robust, and reliable websites and services
- Functionality that is well-tested and resolves the needs of the customer
- An implementation approach that can be maintained and updated easily
-Code that is clean and can be understood and extended by others
- Time estimates that are reliable
You'll be working with these folks:
- Project Managers
- Developers (including third-party/open-source vendors)
- Analytics & Tracking Specialists
- We deliver results - building towards solid long-term - business platforms.
- We make decisions - our customers trust our expertise.
- We resolve presented business cases quickly - without over-engineering stuff.
- We embrace change - without long enterprise-y approval times.
- We share what we learn - with pair programming and R&D times.
- We adopt high standards - ensuring a long-term return on invest for our customers.
- We use the best of breed - Asana, Figma, GitHub, Slack, Notion, …
- We do what we want - we have no "corporate" or VC in the back.
- We are international - English is the company language across all tools, also with customers.
- We communicate directly - especially with customers.
This is what we live every day:
- Independent and self-responsible work is part of our DNA. - Flexible working hours and home office are absolutely natural for us – we see our work as a very important part of life. But only as a part that should fit flexibly with the rest.
- You will find a set of values that we love and live every day.
- You’ll meet a colourful international team full of digital enthusiasts who burn for their subjects – just like you do.
- A mentor will give you regular feedback. As we are constantly changing and try to get a little better every day, we would like to see the opposite. Get involved and let us know if we miss a step and what we can do better.
- There is fresh fruit, coffee and soft drinks in all offices. We also meet every Monday for lunch together.
- Togetherness is important to us: we meet for team activities and joint workshops alternately in our offices in Karlsruhe, Cologne and Barcelona.
- You enjoy further education and we support you in this – with language courses, conference visits and further qualifications.
- We are fond of animals: Dogs can be brought to the office after getting to know them. Currently, the Karlsruhe office offers fish and a fluffy dog.
- You will have 28 days of holidays. You can enjoy them when it fits best in your calendar.
- We make sure that you can work under the best conditions: Laptop, mobile phone contract, the right hardware, train ticket or job bike – ride with us!
Start date: Immediately
Model: Hybrid (2 days/week working at the office)
Location: Barcelona or Karlsruhe
Salary range: 48,000 – 65,000 EUR/anno
Required experience: Minimum 8 years experience in the field
Apply for this position
We cover the digital shift of our clients. Since we believe that a solid business strategy can only thrive when all aspects of the digital world are considered, we need hands-on experts for all digital disciplines to achieve this. Our services entail digital analytics, strategic planning, project management, UX/design, development, marketing and the education of our client’s employees.
We have offices in Karlsruhe, Cologne and Barcelona and alongside netzstrategen more companies belong to our family to complete our clients’ digital workbench and of our own products and businesses.
Our clients are from many different industries and sizes; we are working for big health corporations as well as small local retailers. We are independent from our clients and other institutions - so we don’t have to answer to nobody but to ourselves. This allows us to work with an open and honest attitude when it comes to suggestions for strategies and implementations. Our clients appreciate this a lot.
Honesty and sincerity are enormously important to us und we live our values in our daily work. We all like coming to our offices, to see our clients and our colleagues. Our community is important to us and we invest time and energy in nurturing it. Work to us is more than just bashing stones for a dime :-)
We try to make decisions together in the company; in our weekly lunch meetings, in our frequent plannings or in our bi-annual cross company workshop, where we all come together physically or virtually to spend some time together and try to keep the companies on the right path.
Our compensation model is one of the results of these discussions. It defines perks, benefits and extras and helps to define an entry salary as well as the minimum growth - so nobody is forced to press this topic. So far our experience with this model is very positive.
Sounds like your thing? Then we look forward to hearing from you!