Are you a front-end web developer with a passion for building things that make a real difference to people's lives? Do you want to join a dynamic, agile development team where you'll not only be able to get hands on from day one, but also have access to great educational resources and mentoring?
At Alpha Vet International, we help veterinary professionals from the very beginning of careers at university, through to retirement by providing access to high quality educational content, and professional services. Our CPD platform is built using a modern PHP and JS stack (Laravel, InertiaJS, TailwindCSS, and Vue), so you'll have the chance to work with the latest technologies, while also learning how to maintain and extend existing software.
This role would be a good fit for a front-end web developer with a couple of years of experience looking for a role that will give them the ability to apply their knowledge and experience. We follow the ‘ask your developer’ methodology, so you’ll often be given a problem to solve with your expertise, rather than a solution to implement, so it’s crucial that you’re a self-starter and a problem solver.
Who you will be working with:
You'll report to our Head of Technology, and work directly with our lead developer and team of developers. You'll also collaborate with fellow team members, as needed.
What you can expect:
- You'll be working on the front end of our industry-leading CPD platform, adding new features, and improving existing ones, as well as tackling bugs.
- We're currently moving the platform towards using InertiaJS, Vue, and TailwindCSS, and you'll be critical in helping us move in that direction.
- You'll also help us in our move away from a WordPress CMS to a Laravel (Statamic 3) based platform.
- As a company focused on continuing professional development, we put a lot of focus into giving you the time and opportunity to improve your skills and knowledge. That includes a complementary Laracasts account, two days a month learning budget, and twice-yearly in-person hackathons.
- A full-time remote position, with a management team dedicated to giving you an environment that allows you to focus on your work, rather than pulling you into pointless meetings all the time.
- The opportunity to pitch and test new technologies.
- The ability to work anywhere in the UK, or the EU (so long as you are within ~2 hours of GMT/BST).
Who we are looking for:
Required skills and experience:
- A minimum of 2 years commercial experience working with HTML, CSS, and JS.
- At least 2 years of experience with Vue (or a similar framework).
- At least 2 years of experience working with version control.
- Experience working with Figma/Sketch/XD or similar, to produce efficient, maintainable, and accessible HTML and CSS.
Still apply even if you haven't got these, but you'll get bonus points if you do:
- Experience working with:
- Laravel (or a similar MVC framework).
- Test Driven Development/TDD (both unit and feature).
- You have worked in a team that works with an agile methodology (Scrum/Kanban etc).
- Self-motivated, with a strong desire to continually innovate and implement the latest best practices.
- Ability to be given a problem, and work with stakeholders to plan and implement a solution.
- A strong command of written English, and ability to communicate clearly with both technical and non-technical colleagues.
- Exceptional time management and the ability to work across multiple projects simultaneously with little supervision.
- Ability and willingness to mentor more junior developers.
Note: You do not need a degree to apply for this role, provided you have at least 2 years of commercial experience.
Our hiring process:
We know job hunting can be a stressful experience, so we like to be upfront about what to expect. We like to keep our hiring process simple, and as close to the job you'd be doing because we're not just interviewing you; you're also interviewing us.
- A 30 minute non-technical video call with our head of technology to find out more about you, your experience, and what you're looking for in your next job.
- A small, practical test using version control (designed to take less than 2 hours, because we know you're busy and may be interviewing elsewhere).
- A one hour video call (max) with our head of technology and lead developer to code review your test, and ask you questions about your approach, why you made the decisions you did and so on.
- A 30 minute call with our CEO and chief of staff so they can meet you, and you can meet them.
Note: The last two steps of the interview process (the code review and call with the CEO and chief of staff) are usually done back-to-back.